A randomized, placebo-controlled clinical intervention study in patients at advanced stages of COVID-19 has documented that high-dose vitamin C can cut the death rate almost in half compared to a control group that received the placebo.
The multi-center clinical study was coordinated by the University Hospital of Wuhan, China, the site of the outbreak of the current pandemic. It included COVID-19 patients admitted to intensive care units because of the severity of the life-threatening stage of their infections. All these severely ill patients received standard medical treatment. In addition, one study group received daily doses of 24 grams of vitamin C, given intravenously, while another group received a placebo. Administration of vitamin C resulted in cutting the death rate (mortality) in about half, compared to those patients who only received the placebo.
Patients receiving vitamin C treatment also had a significantly better oxygenation of their blood, indicating that oxygen can better diffuse across the alveolar cells of the lung to saturate the red blood cells. This means that lung tissue was less inflamed, a fact that was confirmed in this study by much lower levels of inflammation markers (Interleukin-6) in the patients receiving vitamin C. Particularly significant, however, was the much better chance of survival for those COVID-19 patients who received high-dose vitamin C – and the fact that this treatment was without any side-effects.
The study names as one of its limitations the fact that the mechanism explaining how vitamin C works, or whether it has a direct effect on the virus, could not be elucidated. This answer has already been provided in a series of research studies carried out at the Dr. Rath Research Institute, California, under the leadership of Dr. Alexandra Niedzwiecki. These studies show that vitamin C inhibits several key mechanisms of coronavirus infections, including down-regulating the viral door-openers (receptors) on the surface of human body cells. More importantly, combined with other micronutrients, vitamin C enhances anti-viral effects, including inhibiting the binding of coronaviruses to the surface receptors of cells.
These combined research and clinical results have significant implications for preventive health strategies on a global scale. As opposed to mere intervention, natural substances such as vitamins exert their efficacy through the regulation of cellular metabolism. As a law of biology, any natural substance that can successfully treat disease – i.e. correct cellular malfunction – must, as a rule, be able to prevent such malfunction in the first place.
Both the research and clinical studies can now explain the striking fact that, besides humans, no other animals suffer from a coronavirus pandemic – they can be infected, but they do not get sick. As opposed to humans, who cannot produce vitamin C in their bodies, most animals produce vitamin C, compared to body weight, in the amount given to COVID-19 patients in this clinical study.
This scientific and clinical breakthrough on the role of vitamin C in the global fight against the COVID-19 pandemic comes at a decisive time. Three-quarters of a year into the COVID-19 pandemic, the lack of an effective and safe answer from conventional medicine is sobering:
- The World Health Organization (WHO) recently published an official evaluation of global data on essentially all drugs that have thus far been promoted by pharmaceutical companies and some politicians as answers to the COVID-19 pandemic. The WHO report concludes: “Remdesivir, Hydroxychloroquine, Lopinavir, and Interferon regimens appeared to have little or no effect on hospitalized COVID-19, as indicated by overall mortality.”
- In several countries, clinical trials with experimental vaccines have had to be stopped because of severe side-effects. These trials have included heavily promoted test-vaccines from Astra Zeneca/University of Oxford, Johnson & Johnson, and Eli Lilly. All of these studies tested genetically-based vaccines that are transported into the core (nucleus) of human cells via another virus (e.g. an adenovirus). Not just the vaccines, but the entire technology based on modifying genetic information inside the body cells of people is highly experimental and has been associated with severe side-effects since its first application.
Vaccines based on proteins, protein segments (peptides), or antibodies involve technologies – widely used for many decades – that deserve further evaluation. In contrast, genetically-based vaccines are highly experimental. Their therapeutic principle is to systematically interfere with the molecules of inheritance (DNA) and/or with the molecules that regulate the synthesis of proteins (RNA). Unfortunately, essentially all vaccines currently in international development are based on this experimental technology. Even if any of these studies showed some effect in short-term studies, the mid- and long-term consequences for population-wide vaccinations could be potentially catastrophic – including irreversible alterations to the genomes of millions of patients, or even the human genome at large.
The only reason why politicians are even considering vaccination campaigns based on such high-risk experimental technologies is because they were told by ‘experts’ that there are no effective alternatives available. Based on the scientific and clinical evidence available, it is clear vitamin C and other micronutrients constitute effective and safe therapies that can immediately be used by the people of the world to control the current pandemic.
Politicians and media who decide to ignore this scientific evidence may face consequences in several ways. They may be held responsible by their constituencies for failing to provide potentially life-saving information about the health benefits of vitamins in the current pandemic. They may also face liability lawsuits from patients if the experimental vaccines they recommend cause severe side-effects, including genetic alterations.
Dr Rath commented: “From now on, no politician advocating ineffective drugs or high-risk genetically-based vaccines to their citizens can claim that they had no alternative. The time of global paralysis in the face of the coronavirus pandemic is over, and so also is the waiting for a safe ‘miracle vaccine’. The people of the world now have a scientifically and clinically proven natural approach in their own hands that can help return life on Earth to normal again soon.”
- Clinical study on the use of high-dose vitamin C in the treatment of COVID-19: https://www.researchsquare.com/article/rs-52778/v2
- Research on the effectiveness of micronutrients in COVID-19 of the Dr. Rath Research Institute: https://www.dr-rath-education.org/
- Website of the Dr. Rath Research Institute: https://drrathresearch.org/
- WHO study on Remdesivir, Hydroxychoroquine, and Lopinavir: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.10.15.20209817v1
- The dangers of fighting corona with adenovirus vaccines: https://www.dr-rath-education.org/the-dangers-of-fighting-corona-with-genetic-vaccines/
Dr. Aleksandra Niedzwiecki